Born in Windsor, Nova Scotia, in 1951, Jude grew up in Dartmouth and received her Bachelor of Art Education at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD). She is a proud mother of three talented children, and is delighted to be a Grammy and a senior! Jude & Husband, Randy curtail travel to this side of the ocean, preferring to spend most of the year in Nova Scotia.
Jude has enjoyed being a schoolteacher, clown, dance instructor, art teacher, square dance caller and recreation director, decorating her home and spending time with guests and family.
Jude got her start in her teens when she inherited her great Auntie Lou’s oil paints and took up painting out of duty more than desire. Before long, Jude felt what her great aunt had seen in her. She painted until she developed an allergy to oils and switched to pen and ink. The door opened further when a fellow artist suggested she add a wash to her drawings.
Shortly thereafter, she enrolled at NSCAD. She studied sculpture, fibre arts and art education, graduating in 1984. She attends annual weeklong courses and numerous workshops by well known Canadian and American artists, and tries to attend at least one workshop each year in her first love, watercolor. Refusing to have limits set on watercolor, Jude experimented on her own, developing some of the techniques seen in her work today.
It is Jude’s wish as an artist that everyone could experience what she does in her painting in some aspect of his or her life.
Exhibiting her work in both solo and group shows, Jude has won awards in both Canada and the USA. She has taught in Canada, Cuba, the USA, and Australia.
- Received awards for her work with Cuban artists in Pinar del Rio as well as having work selected for the Galeria Arturo Regueiro Collection.
- Invited by the Department of Culture, Pinar del Rio, Cuba, to teach Watercolor
- Top of Division Award for Citrus Count Fair, Inverness FL and Best of Show
- Voted Artist of the Month for Citrus County FL
- One of three selected to represent Eastern Shore in VANS magazine’s regional series
- Only painter to have a work selected for Florida University’s collection at the Art on Campus Festival 2001
- Invited to tour Cuba with piece “Similar Yet Different”
- Department of Education Teacher’s Certificate Class 5, permanent
- Classes and workshops through Municipal Recreation, NS; Citrus County Art League, Hernado, FL; Tatamagouche Center, Tatamagouche, NS; Australia, Cuba and Wayward Goose Studio, Mineville, NS; to name a few
Jude participates in several group and solo shows yearly in both Nova Scotia and Florida. She also strives to have an annual show with at least one of her two sisters but you know how sisters are…
Her ever growing ‘Cuban Piece’ – The Convergence of Two Cultures: The Similarities And Differences Between Nova Scotia and Pinar del Rio, has been shown in Nova Scotia, Cuba and Florida. Because of its makeup and the fact that pieces are continuing to be added it can be shown in part or whole for years to come. Jude successfully brought the show to Havana having it exhibited in a national gallery reserved for five Latino countries.
Contact Jude for a detailed listing of shows.